The Midnight Book Club

An On-line Book Club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Eclipse Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kate
Admin

PostSubject: Eclipse Discussion   Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:16 am

Eclipse!! Left us hanging just a bit, I thought. But now we will go back this month and re-read the third Twilight book. Maybe I'll even start to have friendlier feelings towards Jacob, but I wouldn't hold your breathe.

This thread is dedicated to the discussion on the penultimate book (Breaking Dawn of course being the ultimate!). Let us know how you felt about the book. I plan on posting per chapter my thoughts and opinions. But since I can't have a conversation all by myself (at least not one that I can tell people about without them mentioning that I might enjoy a peaceful stay at Griffin Memorial Hospital, thought I am totally not falling for that. Again.), I want to hear what you guys have to say.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Eclipse Discussion   Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:41 pm

I finished reading New Moon on Monday night, so I just started reading Eclipse Tuesday night, which was yesterday. I am half way through, and fairly confident that it shouldn’t be any problem to finish it today. Especially since I don’t work today. The only problem being that I have A LOT of cleaning to do to get ready for Friday night!!! Tons of laundry and dishes. Not to mention errands that need to be run and groceries to pick up. And in all the excitement of Breaking Dawn coming out I CAN NOT forget to stop by my apartment building’s office and pay my rent!!! That is a must!!!
But still even with all of the stress, I am soooooooooooo excited!!! bounce
And with all that in mind, I need to jump into my thoughts on Eclipse so that I can get back to reading the last half of the book.
The first time that I read Eclipse, Edward’s…over protectiveness…really bothered me. I thought he was being such a jerk. I felt like he was taking it a little too far. The part where he ambushed her by talking to Charlie about going to Florida, the part when he took apart her car’s engine so she wouldn’t go to La Push, the part when he followed her to Angela’s house and then waited in her room. Mad As much as I could understand the fear that he felt for her safety, and I knew he wasn’t just being some ordinary controlling boyfriend, it still bothered me. Now when I re-read the book, I still feel like if I was Bella I would be furious, but it doesn’t bother me as much as it did.
I love the whole concept of the imprinting. Jacob first tells Bella about it in chapter 5, but then he goes into greater detail about it when he is defending the fact that Quil imprints on a 2 year old in chapter 8. It’s intense but I just really like it in theory. I don’t believe in love at first sight at all, but this is different. I wish it was real. I want to be imprinted on! Embarassed
Now going back to chapter 6, Bella has a line where she tells Edward that she doesn’t care who is a werewolf, and who is a vampire, and “if Angela turns out to be a witch, she can join the party, too.” Now Kate has a theory, well I don’t know if she really sees it as a theory of just something she would like to see happen, that Jacob will imprint on Angela. She is such a loyal friend, and seems to be the type of person that would be understanding and sensitive to the situation. Not run and hide. And I have to say I love this idea. I want it to happen so badly, I just think it would be great. I mean they do kind of imply that all the werewolves may end up imprinting eventually, so why not have Jacob be with Angela. Maybe he will end up returning for the wedding, and maybe Angela will end up being a bridesmaid. Jacob will come in, stand at the back, and see her standing up there…that would be sooooooooooo great!!!!!
My heart just goes out to Rosalie in chapter 7, when she tells her story. After everything Royce does to her, for him to them crack some joke about needing to be more patient next time, it just turns my stomach, so disgusting. pale I also feel bad for Carlisle, I mean she doesn’t hide her resentment that she feels towards what she is, and he was the one who changed her. This goes back to what I was saying about Twilight and Carlisle turning Edward. I can’t imagine how that must hurt Carlisle. But anyway, I am glad that throughout the books we get to read all of their stories, and especially Rosalie’s because she is such a jerk in New Moon. However, the part where she talks about going back to kill the guys that attacked her make her sound kind of nuts, I mean wearing the wedding dress and all. Just a little creepy, warranted, but creepy.
Moving on, I like the part when Edward gives Bella the helmet and biking jacket. It shows how much more practical he is then Jacob but it is also funny when he tells her that she looks sexy, it makes me laugh. Laughing
Chapter 11 is when we get to hear the Quileute’s legends. These are just brilliant on Stephanie Meyer’s part, they tell the whole story and explain everything. And they are told in a way where they are believable. Oh, and then towards the end when they bring the stories full circle to include the part where Carlisle comes with Esme and Edward, nice touch.
Now chapter 13 is when me favorite, Jasper, get’s to tell his story. I always kind of sit up a little straighter at this part just because I love him so. I love you Uh, his poor body just covered in scars, all the fighting , betrayel, being able to feel your victims emotions right before he would attack (not quite as bad as having to hear their thoughts but bad enough). But then when he tells the part about finding Alice, how she was there just waiting for him, she walked right up to him and teased about being kept waiting, and he replies so gentlemanly, “I’m sorry, ma’am.” So cute!! And Alice makes me laugh when they talk about finding Carlisle and just showing up asking which room is hers, then taking Edwards. It is just such a cute part to the story.
Now, I stopped at the end of chapter 14, so Bella is spending time with Jacob while Edward hunts with his family, and Jacob has just told her flat out that he loves her. And this is all leading up to my favorite part that takes place in chapter 15!!! So I am leaving you now to get back to the book, but all be back as soon as possible! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
bittner29
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Eclipse Discussion   Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:44 am

I finished!!!!!!! YAY!!! I did it, I am so proud of myself!! Smile - oh ok yeah that is kind of sad.
Oh well, moving on.
At the time when I started writing this it is 15 til 3 in the morning. I am so exhausted. My theory however is that I will stay up as late as possible, I have to get up early to open at work, then by the time I get home tomorrow I will be sooo tired that I will be able to fall asleep at like 10! Then I will get as much sleep as possible before Friday night! That is the plan anyway. We’ll just have to see how it goes.
I know that you are just dying to know what my thoughts were for the last half of Eclipse, you can’t wait to hear what little comments I have in store for you…let’s not delay it any longer!
My favorite part in Eclipse, and easily in the whole series (so far) is chapter 15, the chapter in which Jacob kisses Bella. Hopefully you know me well enough by now to know that I absolutely despise Jacob for pushing himself on Bella, so obviously the fact that they kiss is not what makes it my favorite. What makes it my favorite is not only Bella’s reaction, but Charlie’s and Edward’s reactions as well!
First Bella tries to fight off Jacob but he misinterprets that to be her getting “into it”, so she just stands their and lets him finish, as soon as he’s done, she punches him, ultimately breaking her some bones in her hand. Jacob is so irritating as he tries to turn everything that Bella says around to fit his interpretation of the event, but I have to admit, parts of that made me laugh. As much as I am not a fan of Charlie’s preference to Jacob, I think it is funny that when Jacob tells him what happened his reply is “good for you kid” but then he makes up for it when he tells Bella that he should have taught her how to throw a punch because no matter who he prefers, she shouldn’t be kissed without her giving consent. I love when Edward confronts Jacob about it and Bella is in the car pouting. I love when she makes some comment about not minding if Edward killed Jacob and Edward turns to smile at her, because he is getting a little bit of joy out of her frustration towards Jacob. Just the whole scene with all the comebacks and sarcastic remarks makes me laugh every time. Laughing It is sooo my favorite…for now.
In chapter 16 Bella finally puts it together that the visitor in her room is connected to the new army of vampires in Seattle. Idea Took her long enough right. I guess, since I’m not the one living through the situation, I’m just reading it, I never considered the Volturi as much of a threat. So at the chapter about Sent, which I forgot to mention in my last post, I immediately thought of Victoria, and I am pretty positive I wasn’t the only one to pick up on that. So really, took long enough Bella! But at the same time she hasn’t even realized that it is Victoria yet.
I did not agree with the way that she shared the revelation with Edward. Springing it on him after graduation, with all those people around so that they couldn’t really talk about it. Not a good idea.
But even worse is the part when she asks him to stay with her during the fight. Don’t get me wrong, I totally see her side to that situation. I mean to be isolated at the top of some mountain, 9 miles away from all the people that you love who are in the middle of a battle, that is about you, and you have no way to know if it had started or was over or who was hurt or who was okay. That would be torture. I don’t think I could do it. But the way that she asks him, it’s just painful to read because it does kind of sound like she is making him choose between her and his family. It’s just hard to read.
I can not believe the scene on the mountain where Jacob get’s into the sleeping bag with Bella. First it is just so ridiculous, but then the conversation that Jacob and Edward have. I mean I hate to say this, especially on a site filled with people who all but worship Stephanie Meyer. But I found that whole part to be absolutely unbelievable. There is no way two guys, any two guys, would ever have that kind of a personal conversation, where they share so much about how they feel towards the same girl, when they are bitter enemies. I mean there is just no way. I know this section of the chapter is meant for us as the reader to get a little insight, but still. It would never happen.
Now, the scene where Jacob gets Bella to ask him to kiss her. How could she fall for that? I mean really!?! It is hard to believe that she actually thought he would just run down the hill and stand still while a vampire killed him, just to make her life easier. How gullible can you get?
I love how careful Edward is about facing Bella after he destroys Victoria. She is so paralyzed by fear FOR them but he thinks she afraid OF them. It is just sweet how he tires to calm her.
I hate the part where she goes back to talk to Jacob while he is trying to recover from all of his injuries. I think it is just because by this point I am sooo tired of dealing with the whole Jacob thing that I just didn’t care to read it anymore. And then the whole last chapter has to be from his point of view! Seriously, like I care!!! The only thing that is kind of funny about the whole last part of the book is that all of a sudden I hate Leah Clearwater. I mean, up until this point, I barely even considered her as that important of a character. So I didn’t feel one way or another about her. But all of a sudden in that last part of the book I just hate her, I think she comes off as such a whiny brat. I loose all sympathy for her.
Now one more thing I wanted to mention, but the place marker I put in place on that page to remind myself to write about it, fell out. And by now it is almost 3:30 so I really don’t have the energy to look it up. But it is the part where Edward tells Bella about the different things her hears inside the minds of the werewolves. And I don’t remember who it is about, but it is where they reveal that one of their father’s had had to have an affair to make one of them a direct descendent. For some reason I never put much emphasis in that part before, barely even noticed it or remembered reading it. But for some reason, this time around I am dying to know who did it. So I really hope she comes back to that in the last book. What if it was Billy? Hmmm….can’t wait! Good thing it’s already Thursday!
Well by the time I got this posted it is almost 4, I really do have to go to bed now just to get through the day tomorrow. Sleep
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eclipse Discussion   

Back to top Go down

Eclipse Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1