The Midnight Book Club

An On-line Book Club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kate
Admin

PostSubject: Sunshine by Robin McKinley   Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:17 am

Sorry for the late posting!

September's book was chosen by Mandy, and it's Sunshine by Robin McKinley.

Here's what Publisher's Weekly had to say about it:

Quote :
Buffyesque baker Rae "Sunshine" Seddon meets Count Dracula's hunky Byronic cousin in Newbery-Award-winner McKinley's first adult-and-then-some romp through the darkling streets of a spooky post-Voodoo Wars world. Now that human cities have been decimated, the vampiric elite holds one-fifth of the world's capital, threatening to control all the earth in less than 100 years, unless human SOFs (Special Other Forces) can hold them at bay by recruiting Sunshine, daughter of legendary sorcerer Onyx Blaise. As breathlessly narrated by Sunshine herself, the Cinnamon Roll Queen of Charlie's Coffeehouse, in the inchoate idiom of Britney, J. Lo and the Spice Girls, Sunshine's coming-of-magical-age launches when she is swarmed by noiseless vampires one night and chained in a decrepit ballroom as an entr‚e for mysterious, magnetic, half-starved Constantine, a powerful vampire whose mortal enemy Bo (short for Beauregard) shackled him there to perish slowly from daylight and deprivation. Most of the charm of this long venture into magic maturation derives from McKinley's keen ear and sensitive atmospherics, deft characterizations and clever juxtapositions of reality and the supernatural that might, just might, be lurking out there in "bad spots" right around a creepy urban corner or next to a deserted lake cabin. McKinley knows very well-and makes her readers believe-that "the insides of our own minds are the scariest things there are."
Copyright 2003 Reed Business Information, Inc.

I admit it, I'm slacking on reading. But at least I have the excuse of the move. Anyways, let me know what you guys think so far!

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sunshine by Robin McKinley   Sat Sep 20, 2008 12:32 pm

Okay, so far I am really liking this book. It is so different from the Twilight series you really can't even compare them. But that is the only other vampire book I have read.
One of the things I really like is her imagination when it comes to incorporating the magical world with the real world. Like the whole idea that people can be partbloods and not even know it until they are in there sophmore year of highschool and they start to grow tusks. And she completely changes all the ideas people have about certain mythical creatures. My favorite example is the idea of weres. What Robin McKinley does is says that not only are there werewolves but that there can also be werebears, wereracoons, but my personal favorite was the werechickens!
I do like Con, but at the same time, for where I am in the book now, it is hard to really find him that appealing. I mean when we first met him he was all sick and alien looking. And she describes his voice as being so sinister and to where you can't tell the difference between the boys and the girls. All she really says about his appearance when he comes back was that he had filled in more. So I don't see the physical appeal of Con, but from the way he talks, he does come off as strong and safe to me. So for that I do like him. Plus she mentions Sunshine slightly day dreaming about him, so I quess you are supposed to see him as sexy.
The only thing I am having trouble with is that at certain parts, i can not figure out what she is talking about or what is going on. For example the part that I was just reading was on page 215. It is after Con gives her the ability to see in the dark, and then she goes to SOF to try to discuss this change with Pat and Jesse. She comes in to find an old friend Amili is apparently also part of the SOF family, but then there is this whole part where they are having her use the computer and hitting NEXT, that is the part that I just can't follow. If someone can explain this part to me, I would actually be grateful!
Other than that I can't wait to get to the end and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
Kate
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sunshine by Robin McKinley   Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:22 am

It rained all day in Virginia, so I actually read quite a bit. I am hoping to read more soon. Fingers crossed for my job interview on Tuesday, lets hope the client I end up with likes to nap or be read aloud to. XD

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sunshine by Robin McKinley   Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:20 pm

The part you're talking about is the emails from possible vamps. They want her to take a look at them and see if she gets any "feelings" and maybe senses a location of one of the vamps. Which she does do.

Almost done!!!

Midnighter
Midnighter

PostSubject: Re: Sunshine by Robin McKinley   Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:15 am

Are you guys liking the book. I finished it a little while ago, but with school and work I've had no time to post. Maybe this weekend after my accounting test...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunshine by Robin McKinley   

Back to top Go down

Sunshine by Robin McKinley
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1