The Midnight Book Club

An On-line Book Club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Hunger Games

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kate
Admin

PostSubject: The Hunger Games   Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:14 am

Our first book for October is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins:

Quote :
Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

This book was recommended by both Stephenie Meyer and my favorite living author Stephen King. King mentions two of his own novels (Long Walk and Running Man) and Battle Royale (awesome, awesome, awesome Japanese book and movie) that are similar to The Hunger Games which is of course a main reason for me to read it. Plus when people like Meyer and King mention books that they can't put down, I pay attention. I can't wait for Amazon to deliver!!

BookWorm
BookWorm

PostSubject: Re: The Hunger Games   Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:08 am

OK, so when I read the synopsis of this book, I was immediately not interested in more than that, despite the Meyer recommendation. I was also surprised that such a book was written for teens. But, knowing I had today and tomorrow off, I decided to go ahead and check it out from work, and if I had time, try and read a bit of it. My plans for the day ended up falling through (my photography partner has fallen ill, so our zoo trip was cancelled) and I decided to just stay at home and start the book. And by 4:30 this afternoon, I was finished with it. It was like a trainwreck, and I couldn't put it down. I am still not really sure if I even liked it. I will be anxious for the rest of you guys to get through it and hear your opinions. It appears that this is the first in a series. But I am not sure I care enough about the characters to find out what happens next. Peeta, I just feel sorry for... Katniss, I never really came to care about one way or the other. Gale, though a fairly minor character in this first book, I feel sorry for, but I like him. I don't want to get into any plot details and spoil it for anyone, but I will be ready to hear what everyone thinks, and will chime in with my thoughts as well.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kate
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Hunger Games   Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:22 pm

After all my whining, my book finally came! So I shall start it in a few minutes. I will read it whilst drinking water, because in about an hour our wine will be chilled, and then I shall switch to that, thus making reading no longer an achievable goal. So we'll see how much I can get done. XD

Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Hunger Games   Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:28 pm

Beware! Here Be Spoilers!

I just finished the book! I'm still in shock over some of what happened, so I'll just give a brief rundown. First off I want to say that I enjoyed the writer's style. It was easy to follow, and never bogged down my too much detail. Sometimes authors use so much description that I find myself skimming paragraphs, but not here.

There were a few shocks in the book, but mostly I saw them coming. I think mainly because this was written for a slightly younger crowd. I knew that Katniss wouldn't be the one to kill Rue or Thresh. I did not see the end with Cato coming though, his death was particularly brutal. *shudders* Even for me. I also thought that both Katniss and Peeta would make it to the end, but when the last announcement was made that there could only be one winner I assumed Petta would kill himself. I have to say I love how the author came up with a way to save them both.

Now on to characters. I like Katniss, but I don't think I love her. I loved Rue and was so sad by her death. I had some fantasy idea that maybe all three of them could escape (like in Battle Royale, only without one of them dying on the boat). But Rue's whole purpose was to play a Prim like role and make Katniss fight. I am not surprised that Katniss does well at survival, her lifestyle has forced her to mature rapidly in that area. Where Katniss lacks maturity is emotionally. She clings to anger at her mother, refusing to forgive her weaknesses. She appears to be clueless as to how both Gale and Peeta feel about her, yet because of the first person narration we know as much about the two boy's reactions to her as she does. Nothing more, all pov comes from her. The way she clings to her hurt over her father's death, to her mother's breakdown, seems to have retarded her emotional growth.

And that brings me to Peeta and Gale. Oh, what a brilliant, painful, love triangle! I never really got the whole controversy over Bella/Edward/Jacob. The choice was blindingly obvious that Bella and Edward were true soul mates. Edward was just so much the better choice. But with Peeta and Gale not so easy. I liked Gale instantly. He and Katniss are so attuned to each other! I can't believe that she is not head over heels in love with him from the beginning of the book! Then there's Peeta, who has been in a slow burn for Katniss since he was 5. He risked everything to save her, time and time again putting her needs before his. Katniss is just now beginning to realize that she is in big romantic trouble. Gale for her is comfort, stability, true frienship. But she has these things with Peeta as well, although their frienship is relatively new. She and Peeta have just survived a very traumatic event together, something they will forever have in common. And she knows now that he truly loves her. I'm sure on some level she's known for awhile, but didn't want to confront the issues his loving her raises.

I think that Katniss was just beginning to realize she loved Gale. But she couldn't go through what she went through with Peeta without sustaining some kind of emotional connection. This triangle sucks for me! I like both the boys. Both will make excellant partners for Katniss. I lean more towards Gale just because I knew him and liked him from the moment the book opens. I don't honestly know who Katniss will choose, if she'll choose anyone at all. But hearts are going to be torn out.

I think the love story will be central in the next few books, but I have a feeling that Katniss is going to go all rogue and try to shut down the Capital. I can't see any other storyline. Unless they skip to the next Hunger Games and draw Prim's name again, as I am sure Katniss can't volunteer again and Gale will be too old (I think he's 18 now? and so next drawing he'll be 19 and too old). I think the Capital is not done with Katniss and her family.

Oh, and I have to wonder what the baker's wife thought when Peeta was telling Katniss that his dad had been in love with her mother? XD

Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Hunger Games   Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:30 pm

Here is the thing, I owe the library like $50 from some books on tape that I took out about four years ago. So I can't just go to the library and check this one out. And from what I have read, I just can't get that interested in it. The best I can do is just go and sit and B&N and read the book there. But I don't know.
So for now, I'm just going to pass on this one. Maybe I'll flip through the first couple of chapters next week and see if it grabbs me, but I'm doubting it.
However I do have some good thought on Jane-Emily.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
Kate
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Hunger Games   Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:32 am

Bittner, you make me sad. Sad

Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Hunger Games   Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:06 pm

I DIDN'T PASS!!! I was just kidding! Well I was seriouse at the time but I ended up changing my mind and I read it.
I really did like it Very Happy
I don't quiet know my feelings for katniss yet. For the most part I did like her but every once and a while she would do things that I personally felt went against her character. I mean I saw her as this strong, very bitter, synical, and yet still deeply hurt by her father's death.
I thought it was really strange the way in the beginning on page 5 she is talking about what her father taught her about how to hunt food "before he was blown to bits in a mine explosion." That seemed like such a curt way of describing the death of her father; "blown to bits." At first I just figured that they weren't close until I read the further and realized that they were supposed to be very close.
When I read a book I can usually see the characters acting it out like a movie in my mind. And for some reason when I was reading the parts where she throws kisses out to the audience before the games, when she spins around in the dress on stage, when she curls up next to Peeta and puts her head on his shoulder during their last interview, I could not make the Katniss in my head do any of those things. I didn't like those parts and felt they went against her character. I mean I know she is doing it all as a stratigic way of staying alive, but I didn't like it. The movie in my mind went blurry and fast forwards through those parts.
I pictured the games to look just like Jurassic Park. And I kept wondering about the werewovles because I had read about them in the reviews, but I was not expecting that at the end. I can't believe they did that to the other tributes or how hard that would have been on their parents to see what the Capitol had done with the bodies of their children. But I guess without getting a close look they probably didn't realize that it was their children mutated.
I first I didn't trust Rue. I don't know why but I just thought that sometimes in the scary movies the littlest kids that turn evil. So when she was following them around during training I just didn't trust her. So by the time she died I had only just started to like her so I wasn't completely towrn up when she was killed. I was also liked that after Rue died Katniss killed the boy. Not that I am all for turning teenagers into ruthless killers, but I thought it would be to easy if she excaped the games without having to actually kill one of the other players. And then I liked it when Thresh came out and killed that other girl in revenge for Rue. I didn't think much of him because he didn't team up with her and was on the other side of the games from where our characters were. But when he killed Clove and then spared Katniss I really liked him, I pictured a really cute version of the guy who is going to play Emmett in the Twilight movie. I didn't like it when he died and I was glad we were spared the grusome details.
As for the whole GALE-KATNISS-PEETA thing. I think I am leaning towards Gale. I liked him from the beginning and it was obviouse that he cares for her and that deep down Katniss cares for him more than just a friend.
I do think that on some level Katniss cared for Peeta. But I don't know that she will ever be able to see past the differences between them. She has so much bitterness towards anyone that didn't have to work as hard as she did to put food on the table. And she kept seeing Peeta that way, assuming that just because he had never hunted for a meal his life was so easy. And she has so much pain in her that I don't think she could ever really share that with Peeta. She trusts Gale, she can be vulnerable with Gale. He gets her.
Besides Katniss hurt him pretty bad in the end when he realized she didn't love him, that she didn't know what she wanted.
And yes, they went through something intense together but so did Annie and Jack in Speed, and at the end of that movie Annie tells Jack that relationships based on intense experiences never last. And by the Speed 2 she is on that boat all alone!!! -I'm just saying.
When they first announced that the two players from a district could win, I thought it was revealed way too early and I thought it was too easy. So I was glad when the Capitol started messing with them in the end just because it kept the drama going.
I would have liked it to have Katniss and Peeta try to become a teem after they were in the games but before they made that announcement. Although, if they had been a team the Capitol probably wouldn't have made that announcement at all.

In the end I really did like the book and I will read the sequal regardless if we do it for the club or not. I want to see how the author works out the triangle. Plus I am very intrigued about how Katniss and Peeta make out as mentors working with Haymitch and Effie.
I can't wait for the sequal. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Hunger Games   Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:01 pm

Okay, in Speed 2, Annie was not all alone, she was with Sir Vampire Hotness Jason Patric (or as I remember him most fondly - Michael in Lost Boys).

Midnighter
Midnighter

PostSubject: Re: The Hunger Games   Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:05 am

I really liked this book too and am looking forward to the next ones. It's nice to have a strong female character that has problems showing her feelings. Feelings are stupid Smile And I want to learn how to shoot and bow and arrow, so that's cool too. I'm rooting more for Gale. They have more in common, he understands her better, and is is quieter in battle. He would totally be an asset if she decides to take on the capital. Peeta's okay, but he's soft. I don't think he'd be willing to defend her like Gale would, he hasn't had to work for too much until the games, so it would be easier for him to give up in a challenge. He did well in the games, but he was laying in mud for a good portion of it. However, the camouflage thing was pretty cool. There are so many things that I want to learn how to do.

I was hoping Prim would last longer, and I thought the giant boy would kill her. But she did need to make her first up-close kill, so her death was good for moving the story along. I also like the new animals from this book and how they were used to aid Katniss. I though the wasp part was kinda funny, until wasps started coming out of my fireplace last week.

The author did a good job of showing how reality tv has impacted culture, and those on the program. Katniss did everything for ratings and basic survival needs from sponsors once she got smart about it. It's interesting how she recalled what worked for other players and used it to her advantage- the exciting deaths being the predominant advantage. It's just too bad that she ended up hurting Peeta in the process. He is nice and lovable in a teddy bear way after all. I couldn't decide until the reveal if he was actually in love with her or not. I wonder if he has any plans to win her over-like take up hunting and learn to walk quietly since that bothered her so much. Or will he become more sedentary since he'll have a lot of money now and a house and all the other benefits. Will he decide that Katniss isn't worth the trouble, and blow her off now that he's heartbroken? And how will the interviews change now that he knows she's been faking? Will he still enjoy the closeness, will they stage a breakup, will it be followed like a celebrity relationship until the next games? And what will their differing strategies be for the new contestants?

Okay, I'll stop thinking of questions now, and just try to wait. I'm excited about Coldplay and Twilight, and James Bond, and Role Models. My EW magazine came today, and I got the cover with Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart Very Happy bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kate
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Hunger Games   Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:59 am

So do you guys think that Katniss will wait until after the next games to begin her assault on the Capital? Because I think she and Gale (possible Peeta as well) will become rebels. I think Katniss will not wait for the Government to punish her and her family for her and Peeta's stunt. I have a feeling if she waits to long, Prim will be chosen for the next Hunger Games, but perhaps little sister will succeed as well, especially with Kat's help.

Here's how the love triangle could eventually be solved: As Prim grows up, she and Peeta could fall in love (years from now of course, since she's still a kid). I think Peeta loves the idea of Kat rather than the actual reality of her, while Gale knows her, all her faults and ugliness as well as her goodness, and loves her anyway.

I am eagerly awaiting the next book, which I can't find much info about other than it might possible be named Catching Fire or simply 12. I will be putting the Gale and Peeta poll up. XD

Admin

PostSubject: Re: The Hunger Games   Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:08 pm

I agree that I can see them becoming rebels before the next hunger games, wanting to put an end to it before anyone else has to die. But I almost wish they would wait, I want to see how she and Peeta handel being Mentors. What advice do they give, what tricks do they use to get the next group through. But I think the capitol will come after them before that.
Here is a question, how supportive do you think the people in the other districs will be. Obviously Districts 12 and 11 probably have more people suffering so there will probably be more people willing to stand up against the capitol. But what about the other Districts, the ones that raise the Careers for example. Obviously if they raise their kids to see the games as a place to claim honor and glory they must not fear the capitol as much. And if they aren't bothered by the way the capitol treats the other districts which side will they choose in the end, or will they stand and fight at all?
that is what I find so exciting about this book, you really don't know where the story is going to go. The only thing I remember reading about the sequal is that it wont be out until September of '09, i think!?!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Hunger Games   

Back to top Go down

The Hunger Games
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1