The Midnight Book Club

An On-line Book Club

HomeHome  PortalPortal  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Watchmen: Graphic Novel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kate
Admin

PostSubject: Watchmen: Graphic Novel   Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:15 pm

For our other November book club pic, we've chosen the graphic novel Watchmen by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. Like our other pic, The Secret Life of Bees, Watchmen is an eagerly anticipated movie. Unlike TSLoB, Watchmen's release as a movie is under fire, as two studios claim to own the rights to the characters. Here's what Amazon had to say about our second selection:

Quote :
Has any comic been as acclaimed as Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' Watchmen? Possibly only Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, but Watchmen remains the critics' favorite. Why? Because Moore is a better writer, and Watchmen a more complex and dark and literate creation than Miller's fantastic, subversive take on the Batman myth. Moore, renowned for many other of the genre's finest creations (Saga of the Swamp Thing, V for Vendetta, and From Hell, with Eddie Campbell) first put out Watchmen in 12 issues for DC in 1986-87. It won a comic award at the time (the 1987 Jack Kirby Comics Industry Awards for Best Writer/Artist combination) and has continued to gather praise since.

The story concerns a group called the Crimebusters and a plot to kill and discredit them. Moore's characterization is as sophisticated as any novel's. Importantly the costumes do not get in the way of the storytelling; rather they allow Moore to investigate issues of power and control--indeed it was Watchmen, and to a lesser extent Dark Knight, that propelled the comic genre forward, making "adult" comics a reality. The artwork of Gibbons (best known for 2000AD's Rogue Trooper and DC's Green Lantern) is very fine too, echoing Moore's paranoid mood perfectly throughout. Packed with symbolism, some of the overlying themes (arms control, nuclear threat, vigilantes) have dated but the intelligent social and political commentary, the structure of the story itself, its intertextuality (chapters appended with excerpts from other "works" and "studies" on Moore's characters, or with excerpts from another comic book being read by a child within the story), the finepace of the writing and its humanity mean that Watchmen more than stands up--it keeps its crown as the best the genre has yet produced.

Let's get reading!

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Watchmen: Graphic Novel   Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:59 pm

I am really surprised that I am enjoying Watchmen as much as I am. I've never read a graphic novel before and if Amanda hadn't picked it I probably never would have thought to try reading one.
There is one thing about it though that is driving me crazy Mad
I don't know if you guys have noticed this fact about me, but I am really big on being able to count down to things. Everything from special events to how many more steps til I reach my apartment or how many minutes are left in the movie, how many hours left at work, good and bad things dosen't matter, I always have it on my mind how much is left. When I buy a new notebook of paper, like for school or something, I will start at the back and number each page of paper so that way when I'm using it I always know how many sheets I have left. You can ask Ame, I have always been this way. I can't explain it, it is just a little quirk of mine.
And it is absolutely driving me crazy to read Watchmen and not have my pages numbered!!!
Some of the pages are, but not all of them, and not in the way that tells me how many pages are left in the book. I need to know these things, why do you think every time someone suggests a book to read one of the first things I do is check amazon to see how many pages there are. If there are a lot it wont make me not want to read the book, I just NEED to know!!!
You do not know how much control it is taking to not go through my book right now and number each page. I think Kate would litteraly kill me if she ever found out I treated a book that way. My only hope is to finish the book FAST!!! I mean really FAST!!!

Other than that little problem, I am liking it though Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://abductedbybooks.blogspot.com
Kate
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Watchmen: Graphic Novel   Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:24 pm

I actually have little problem with those that write in books when needed. I just hate people that crack open spines and purposely age the book because they are too lazy and self centered to take proper care of things. Writing in books falls under a much different category. If this is a book you want to keep, and you need the peace of mind, then by all means, hand number the book.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Watchmen: Graphic Novel   Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:15 pm

Okay so I am in the middle of reading Watchmen right now and I just wanted to pause, and take a moment to say that i think Laurie is a bitch!!! For three reasons:
1. she was a total slut in the beginning when she took Jon away from that other girl the one who was kind of like the love of his life before he became Dr Manhattan. But Laurie shows up looking all sluttly and young and he ditches his old girlfriend for her.
2. She wont shut up about Jon. Here Dan is being this incredibly nice guy and helping her out by giving her a place to stay and being her friend (benifits included). He talks to her and listens to her, he's normal. And yet every two seconds she's all "Jon this and Jon that" "Oh my life is so hard I wish Jon was here to make it all better. Oops sorry Dan!" I mean what the Evil or Very Mad seriously!?!
3. Dan starts to remind her of that side of herself that really does enjoy the crime fighting life. Things are going really good for them, they break Kovack out of jail and then what happens?
Jon shows up and it's all "Bye Dan." Actually I take that back she doesn't even say bye to Dan she just leaves. Jon says come and she goes and there is no discussion or lame explanation. just "Jon wants me to go with him and I think I should."
How lame is that!?!
I have just under 150 pages to go so I should be done soon. I hope so because that only leaves me a week to read Secret Life of Bees, so i'd better hurry.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Watchmen: Graphic Novel   Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:29 am

I finished Watchmen last night. I actually liked it despite not liking any of the characters. I thought the artwork was great, except the woman looked funny... I think the artist did a much better job on the guys... maybe the heads were too small? XD I don't know.

The ending (Spoilers Ahead!!)

Wow.. I did not see it coming, I really believed Jon would find a way to go back in time or undo the damage. Ozymandias is a crazy ass dude. But he did kind of have a point... look at how 9/11 brought our country together, at least for a brief time. He's very "the ends justify the means", but he's a murderous loony pants as well. *sigh* And what the hell? Why'd he kill his lynx hybrid? What the hell did that accomplish? A big fat nothing.

Okay, I did kind of like Rorschach, even though he was vulgar and racist and a whole lotta mess. I liked that his character stayed true through the end. I thought his death was sad, but felt that it served the story line well. I had forgotten about his journal, though. How awesome!

The whole Laurie/Dan thing bothered me a lot, too. I thought she was pretty shallow and self centered, but oh, well. Dan is a giant tool. But he's the only character really worth rooting for, you know, if he wasn't a clueless tool.

Okay, the Comedian and Laurie's mom. What the hell? (I am aware I have said this several times in this post, forgive me) He tries to rape her, beats her up, and then later she has sex with him and gives birth to his daughter? Okay, I can buy that, a bit soap opera-ish, but whatever. But I don't get that in part of the book she's defending him to Laurie, and then when he and Laurie meet the first time, she jumps all over him. I knew then that Laurie was his kid, but I couldn't figure out how he and Laurie's mom could get together and conceive a baby and her still hate him. Curious...

Laurie was just plain annoying. Her hatred of the Comedian, while understandable, was over the top. And where was the love for Jon? It was just bitch, bitch, bitch. And I don't get another thing.. She was whining to Dan that she hadn't been touched in so long, but in the scene where Jon duplicates himself and, uh, pleasures her, she seems to be getting touched by him then. And isn't she there to keep his Mr. Happy, happy? Don't get her, don't like her.

And I think I am going to start talking like Rorschach. Done now. Bed. Bye. XD

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Watchmen: Graphic Novel   Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:20 pm

I just finished Watchmen! I don't know why it took me so long to read it but I did really like it and would be totally up to reading another graphic novel in the future. Like V for Vendetta or one of the books from Sin City. I really really liked the genre.

I didn't see the ending coming at all. I mean in all the action movies the good guys are suppossed to get there right on time. I mean in that last second when you think all is lost, they are suppossed to swoop in and save the day. But the other thing I didn't like about the ending was the way everyone reacted to it. Viedt is all like "Yay go me I did it! I killed millions of people and there is nothing you can do about it" and then Laurie and Dan are just like "yeah you're right there is nothing we can do about it...wanna have hot and steemy 'glad we're still alive sex?'" And then you have Rorschach who tries to figure out a way to punish Viedt and before he can get 10 steps out the door Jon kills him. WHAT THE Evil or Very Mad !!! I mean yes, ok Viedt brought about world peace...but for how long?
The other nations put an end to the war because of what happened, but that was only one war. They are going to go to the summit talk things over, cry over the poor americans who died and in ten years they will be back to fighting over something else and starting wars again. America, (don't get me wrong I am so proud and grateful to be an American)...America is a snob. In the rest of the worlds eyes we're a bunch of greedy stuck up bastards, sympothy for America is only going to hold out for so long. If he really wanted to bring about world peace he should have released 10 of those things in all different countries so that it was a world wide tragedy, like in Deep Impact Wink

Now one thing that did kind of swade me in my prefernce towards certain characters was knowing who was going to play them in the movie. But I didn't get on and look up the future cast until I was about half way through with the book.

At first I didn't really think much of Dan. He did seem kind of lame and washed up. But I did like him the most compared to the rest of the line up. Then I saw that he would be played by Patrick Wilson, whom I do like, and all of a sudden he was my favorite.

Laurie I couldn't stand from the beginning. Obviously, see past blog for further explanaion. But the gril who is going to play her in the movie is an actress I don't really care about so that didn't help Laurie to ever make it over to my good side. I also started suspecting the comidien was her father but I too couldn't figure out how. If he had only been with her mom that one time and if I recall correctly that didn't go very far. Then I started thinking maybe they had been together before that time, and then that time he was just coming back for more...but that didn't really add up either.

I liked Rorschach in the beginning but in the middle when he went to prison and he was getting evaulated and all that stuff came out about how he killed the dogs and chewed that one bully's face off, well i didn't really care for him for a while after that. Then when Dan and Laurie came and got him out, I suddenly found myself liking him again. I gasped when he died, I DID NOT see that coming.

Jon, I never cared for. He was distant and kind of an ass hole. Well, really no 'kind of' about it, he was just an ass hole. But then I saw Billy Cudrup was going to be playing him and well that made me love Jon. I mean I have carried a love for Billy since I saw Inventing the Abbots, but for those of you who don't know, Almost Famous is one of my top 5 favorite movies of all time. That movie made me just adore him, throw in Trust the Man, and he can do no wrong by my standards. So anyway, getting back to the book. No matter how much of an ass hole he was being I liked the character but that all changed with the point of one little finger. What a cold hearted bastard.

If I was going to be completly honest in my review I should also mention that I didn't read the pirate story. I tried to in the beginning, I think I got to the part where he was on the raft and he ate a bird, he got sick a shark came, he killed it, and then I just couldn't care less. So when every the pictures took on that spotted effect and the words were on the old parchment like background, I hit the fast forward button and got back to the interesting story.

All in all, I liked it. On a scale of 1-10 I would give it a solid 8.
Back to top Go down
Kate
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Watchmen: Graphic Novel   Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:26 pm

So, it turns out that iTunes has Watchmen as a movie comic thingy.. if that makes sense. They're only up to chapter 5 or 6, and I actually got the first chapter free for Aaron months ago, not really sure what it was at the time, other than that he was excited about the movie version. So last night I started to watch it, and it's really good. You can get the whole thing eventually for just 19.99 or by chapter for 1.99, but it's a really cool way to read it. It's just cool.

PostSubject: Re: Watchmen: Graphic Novel   

Back to top Go down

Watchmen: Graphic Novel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1